Author: Will Parkinson
Cover Artist: Reese Dante
Publisher: Harmony Ink Press
Buy Links: Publisher | Amazon | ARe
Genre: Young Adult
Heat Rating: ♨♨
A Harmony Ink Press Young Adult Title
The day Jackson Kern walks into Taylor Andrews’s classroom is a momentous day in Taylor’s life. He’s had crushes before, sure, but as time goes on, this is starting to look a whole lot more serious. Still, Jackson doesn’t return Taylor’s feelings.
Taylor has his own admirers, though. Kevin Richards is used to getting what he wants, and what he wants right now is Taylor, so when Taylor rejects him, Kevin retaliates. At first Taylor’s entourage rallies around him, but then Kevin takes his deception one step further and Taylor sees his support dwindle, teaching him the valuable lesson about who he can truly consider a friend.
Will Parkinson has created an enjoyable young adult/coming of age story centered on the lives of five high school students: Taylor, Benny, Jackson, Addy, and Becca.
- Taylor is the primary character of this story. He is a talented artist who falls in and out of crushes quite frequently.
- Benny has been Taylor’s intelligent, witty, and level headed “straight” best friend since kindergarten.
- Jackson is the new kid and an athlete that excels playing baseball. His life has been lonely due to the constant moving around caused by his father’s job.
- Addy is the adopted child whose biological parents abused him physically and mentally.
- Becca is the self-centered, attention grabbing, high school cheerleader who wants to be with those that improve her popularity.
Between these five they run the gamut of issues and live experiences including bullying, obsession, fitting in, the new kid, crushing, pressure for good grades, gay bashing, outing, homophobia, and abuse. The lives of these five intertwine through a multitude of happy and sad events dealing with what life dished out.
Keeping the age of these kids in mind and remembering that they are high school age makes their actions understandable and believable. There is the typical teenage reaction to life along with some profound wisdom and adult reactions. The story tugs your heart in all directions. The drama is over the top at times and the issues dive pretty deep. Simply though, it all works together and weaves a sweet story with enjoyable characters and a dash of angst.